Technical Assistance and Training
For the past 15 years, APPEAL has been providing Technical Assistance and Training (TAT) to diverse communities and agencies across the U.S. and Pacific and internationally. The goal of this program is not only to satisfy the individual’s or community’s request, but also to ultimately strengthen the capacity of AA and NHPI organizations, individuals and supporters to address tobacco issues in their communities.
APPEAL defines technical assistance and training as the exchange of information, strategies, or ideas regarding:
- Research and data
- Community mobilization
- Programmatic approaches
- Developing policies
APPEAL offers technical assistance in a variety of ways, including through the provision of:
- APPEAL products/publications
- Information on culturally and linguistically appropriate tobacco educational materials
- Data on AAPI tobacco issues
- Guidance/input on program related action (e.g. cessation or secondhand smoke)
- Guidance/input on policy focused issues (e.g. tobacco industry sponsorship or settlement funds)
- inkages and referrals to other organizations
- Proposal or grant writing assistance
- Letters of support
APPEAL trains and presents on a variety of topics, including:
- Tobacco’s impact on AA and NHPI communities
- Cultural or community competence
- Leadership development
- AA & NHPI youth mobilization
- Capacity building
- Coalition development
- Advocacy/policy development
Requesting Technical Assistance and Training
To request TAT from APPEAL, please visit the Contact page and fill out the form. You may also email APPEAL at [email protected] or call 510-272-9536.
Please be sure to provide as much information as possible in terms of what you are seeking and your projected timeline. If you are not exactly sure what you need, our staff will be happy to discuss your situation with you and offer suggestions. In most cases, APPEAL staff will acknowledge your request within 2 working days. When you are contacted, staff may ask additional questions about your organization and community to gain a better understanding of your needs.
For specific details on how APPEAL will work with you to meet your request, please see these Examples of TAT Requests
Please note that while TAT requests are primarily addressed by APPEAL staff and/or the TAT Expert Pool, we also rely on the active participation of the requesting organization.