The SPARC Advisory Committee will provide guidance and advice to SPARC activities including the development of the following: 1) an enabling system for supporting AANHPI tobacco control activities, 2) educational materials on tobacco control and policy change, 3) annual leadership summits and 4) a statewide AANHPI strategic plan and tobacco control policy platform.
1. Develop an Enabling System to support AANHPI tobacco control activities
The enabling system will support AANHPI regional projects to promote social change aimed at preventing and reducing tobacco use by:
- Assisting regional projects to organize and integrate tobacco control knowledge into their work.
- Brokering resources from larger institutions.
- Facilitating the exchange of resources and mutual support within the network of regional projects and participating organizations.
- Promoting diffusion of innovation and increasing coordination among regional organizations.
2. Create educational materials on tobacco control and policy change
SPARC will develop at least 14 educational materials from 3 ethnically, culturally, and linguistically appropriate types such as:
- Educational toolkits
- Digital storytelling
- In-language materials
3. Annual Leadership Summits
- Develop SPARC Leadership Summit materials and curricula on tobacco control leadership and policy change skills
- Promote, recruit, interview, and select 20-30 applicants annually to participate
4. Strategic Plan & Tobacco Control Policy Platform
- Develop a statewide policy platform on critical tobacco issues for AANHPI communities across California
SPARC Advisory Committee Responsibilities
- Recruit new representatives to replace any one of the selected members/organizations, should they stop participating during the grant period.
- Participate in two in-person SPARC Advisory Committee meetings annually and quarterly teleconference calls.
- Help carry out project activities such as data collection, educational visits, public speaking, and letter writing.
- Participate in strategic planning sessions to create a plan to address tobacco issues that impact the AANHPI populations statewide.