#APIWorldCancerDay Twitter Chat was a huge success with an incredible amount of information shared by the RAISE Partners about programs and strategies proven to address cancer in AANHPI communities. Thank you to everyone who participated. If you missed the chat, please visit the Storify and check it out!
World Cancer Day, coming up on February 4, is a day to raise awareness and get as many people as possible talking about this terrible killer and changer of lives. Cancer, of course, affects millions from every ethnicity, but Asian Americans, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islanders (AANHPIs) are the first ethnic group to experience cancer as the #1 cause of death. So, the members of the RAISE Network will focus the discussion toward our vulnerable communities through a Twitter chat under the hashtag #APIWorldCancerDay from 1-2 p.m., Pacific Time.
RAISE is a network of national and local organizations working together to prevent and reduce tobacco use and other cancer-related health disparities in the diverse AANHPI communities. The partners that comprise the network use evidence-based public health models and strategies that are culturally competent and population specific.
The #APIWorldCancerDay Twitter chat will feature RAISE Partners answering key questions around the issue of cancer in AANHPI communities and sharing proven strategies that have demonstrated success in the fight against cancer in our communities. Below are some the questions we plan to address during the chat:
- What cancers affect AANHPI communities the most?
- Most successful program to boost screening & which cancer does it address?
- How do you reach out to different AANHPI communities and what barriers do you face?
- What types of support/resources do you provide to help those with limited English proficiency?
- What types of support/resources do you provide to help those going through/surviving cancer?
- What resources are need most in addressing cancer in AANHPI communities?
Please join us for #APIWorldCancerDay, Feb. 4, 1-2 p.m., Pacific.
Featured RAISE Partners for the chat include:
@aapchotweets & @hepbpolicy Association of Asian Pacific Community Health Organizations (AAPCHO)
@AAHC_HOPEClinic HOPE Clinic, Houston
@appealhealth Asian Pacific Partners for Empowerment, Advocacy, and Leadership
Find out more about the RAISE Network and the partners here.